Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Thing 5: Digital Storytelling and Presentation Tools

I skimmed through many of the tools mentioned this week, but the ones I spent time on are VoiceThread, Photopeach, Zooburst and Storybird, as well as the information about Creative Commons. I really like the idea of having the students create booktrailers using VoiceThread. I may do this with my library book club students next year. (There is no club this year). I absolutely love Zooburst and wish I was working with elementary students to utilize this tool in my library. There is a way to view the stories on a regular PC if you print out the 3D "tool" and hold it up in front of the webcam. I made a little slide show of my Maine vacation pictures using Photopeach. It was fun to choose the pictures and music. I would love to do this for all my family get-together photos! Here is the link for it: http://photopeach.com/album/131a7y1 Presently, I have 2 Freshman English classes that are coming to the library to use Windows Movie Maker to design a book trailer. The students have finished reading and studying Fahrenheit 451. They have chosen a book that they have read in the past that left an impression on them. They are to create a book trailer about that book to convince the other students in the class why this book should not be banned/burned. They are using images and music through Creative Commons. I can't wait to see their final projects.

3 comments:

  1. Love the Maine photopeach. So many familiar views there. Acadia is one of my favorite places.

    Will you be able to share the student book trailers on Fahrenheit 451? Or are they private?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are private. The students and the English teacher doing this project had many difficulties with Moviemaker. I am not sure if it is our school district's computers,filters, or complexity of the program, but I don't think this English teacher will do this again. I suggested some of the programs mentioned in this module, but many of them are blocked. I will discuss this with the school's tech coach to see about getting at least one of the programs unblocked because they seem much more user-friendly than Moviemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moviemaker is a great tool, but it is complex for use with a class. I still have to refresh my memory every time I try to use it. Hope you can get them to unblock one of these simpler tools. (still dreaming of Maine.)

    ReplyDelete