Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thing 3: RSS feeds, Home Page, Readers

I signed up for Google Reader then went crazy adding Feeds. I really like the idea the Denver Public Library uses for RSS for Book Reviews. I subscribed to Diigo---CoolToolsforSchools, Diigo In Education, Adventures of Library Girl, Edutopia, OLAS jobs, Reading Rockets, Free Technology for Teachers, and my local newspaper. I probably will not be able to keep up with reading all of the information I get from all of them, but I know how to unsubscribe now. I plan on using the RSS feeds personally and professionally, and even set up two folders for my feeds to be organized into. I came across Adventures of Library Girl through the link for the Salem Press Blog Awards. I plan on looking through her presentations at some point. Free Technology for Teachers may give me some new ideas to share with the teachers at my school. I like that Googlereader is accessed right from my Google home page where I get my email and docs. I also like that it has a button for "new items" to grab my attention. I also like that there is a link to recommended items related to the feeds I already have. I plan to use the Rss feeds to stay abreast of new technology, updates on the Common Core State standards, and book reviews. I am going to look into using a RSS feed in my library to link to book reviews the students write. I logged into Gale and EBSCO, but did not see the RSS button to add those databases to my feeds. I even searched a topic thinking I needed to be in an actual article to share it, but the RSS symbol is not one of the "share" options.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! Nice work with your GR account. In the Gale databases, the RSS feed is called "Create a Search Alert". I don't have access to any EBSCO files, but maybe this link will help? http://support.epnet.com/knowledge_base/detail.php?id=2854

    ReplyDelete