Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thing 2: Online Communities and PLN's

I have read through the course information and some of the links including Classroom 2.0 and MightyBell, and joined the SLS School Tools FB Group. I find it interesting that schools are using Teacher/Librarian Facebook accounts to communicate with students. Our school District has opted to use Edmodo, which is like Facebook for schools. Until now, I really did not care to have any part of Twitter.I have joined other Social networking groups such as Pininterest, LinkedIn and Facebook, but the only one I keep current with is FB. I looked through 35 ways to build my personal learning network, and I did join Classroom 2.0 after reading the BYOT discussion thread. Our school is running a Pilot BYOD program after the first of the year, so I am always interested to see how other schools are doing this. I also joined MightyBell because I am hoping to start a library book club next year. Even after reading "For Newbies: Just Heart the #" I still feel Twitter is not for me. I choose to not have a data plan for my cell phone, and I sit at a computer for way more that I want to at work,so I am happy to not be on it in my free time. I do understand the benefits of staying connected with others who share the same interests, but I still feel I can meet these needs in other ways. I am going to watch the #TLchat and if I feel the need to post a comment, I will join Twitter. I would like to participate in the #TLchat live chat on tweetchat.com on the second Monday of each month, so I may have to join anyway.

2 comments:

  1. found this on #tlchat Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K–12: 2013 (Books published in 2012)

    Great resource to support science teachers having difficulty adapting to CCSS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how many tools you've explored and considered here! Edmodo is a great tool, good that you have access to that for your students.

    Following tlchat without joining twitter is a terrific way to keep up. And you can follow the live chat on the 2nd monday via tweetchat without signing up for twitter. Nice!

    ReplyDelete