Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thing 12 Social Learning Management Systems

Edmodo is used by most teachers and students at my high school. I use it for my library book club as a discussion forum between our meetings. Another teacher uses it very much like a college professor for an online class does. I watched the Schoology video and read the article Schoology vs. Edmodo. It seems like Schoology is a better platform if students are using iPads and apps. For our population, Edmodo meets the needs of the teachers and students. After looking at Mrs. Altham's blog regarding a summer reading club, I may attempt that using Edmodo next summer. I read the article "Survey of K12 Educators on Social Networking, Online Communities, and Web 2.0 tools". It does not surprise me that librarians have the highest percent participation in social networks. We seem to thrive by bouncing ideas off each other and sharing experiences. I posted what I am reading on Mightybell.I use Good Reads all the time to follow book series'. I plan to teach my library book club members how to use Good Reads to find other books they may like, read reviews, and post reviews. Facebook is blocked in our school. As an aside, when our students first started using Edmodo, I was constantly reminding students that they were not allowed to be on Facebook in school and if they were getting around the filters, I would need to report them to administration. After a few instances of this, I realized the students were working on assignments on Edmodo! Their discussion platforms looks so much the same, from a distance I really thought these students were on Facebook! Finally, I joined TeacherLibrarian Ning and posted a few comments regarding library fines, and how long to keep magazines in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment